Monday, March 22, 2010

The Fifth Sunday in Lent - Judica - March 21, 2010

The Church Season of Lent,
Judica,
Our Savior Lutheran Church, Midland, MI (March 21, 2010)
One Year Series

“I AM HERE”

Readings:
Psalm 43
Gen. 22:1-14
Hebrews 9:11-15
John 8:42-59

Sermon Form: Deductive
+INI+

Grace, mercy and peace be to you from the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen

The text for today is as recorded in the Gospel Lesson from the 8th chapter of St. John, especially the following verses.

John 8:42-59 (ESV)
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” 48 The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” 52 The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ 55 But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57 So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit

Have you ever had a conversation with someone but it seems as if you are speaking two different languages, let alone speaking and understanding two different things? The more you try to clarify your points, the more the other person misunderstands what you are saying and turns the whole conversation around.

That’s exactly what’s happening between Jesus and the crowds of the Jews in John chapter eight. Jesus uses very simple sentences. There is no slick silvery double forked tongue talk coming out of our Lord’s mouth. Jesus asks some simple questions. The Jews know the answers, but they respond as if they ignore what Jesus says. They hear what they want to hear rather than that what they actually hear.

This crowd creates a whole universe for themselves around a lie. When Jesus began to preach and perform signs and wonders for the Jews to show He is the Messiah, the Son of God promised by the patriarchs and prophets, many who heard, believed what they heard and saw. Many others heard and saw Him, but refused to believe what He said was true. So they twisted His Words and made Jesus say and do what they wanted Him to say and do. They created a world that centered around everything they wanted to believe no matter how bizarre it may have seemed.

Sometimes our world is a lot like that bizarre world. People destroy our reputation with hurtful words and action. People take advantage of us. We fall headlong into that crazy world and do things according to mob rule. After all, revenge is a dish that’s best served cold. If someone acts cold-blooded to us, we should act cold-blooded…and then some…in return!

In the midst of all the craziness, our Lord’s Words sound precious to our ears. There’s a lot of comfort when He says: “if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.” God’s Word says so time and again. Jesus is the Word made flesh. He cannot lie. But His words sound to this crowd like a dagger to the heart. Our Lord speaks fighting words because He wants to tear down their crazy world that has no room for a Savior Who is incarnate and conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.

Jesus’ Words to the Jews have some bite too. “He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God…. Yet you have not known [My Father], but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word.

When you build your house in a crazy rule-less world of loving sin and hating righteousness, you need to hear what Jesus says to the crowd gathered around Him. He speaks to the crowd and He speaks to you too. He doesn’t speak words to make Himself look good and make us look like a fools, He speaks words in order that we would acknowledge our sins and repent. That’s all Jesus wanted from the crowd and from you and me. He wants repentance toward the forgiveness of sins. Psalm 95 says, “Today, if you will hear His voice: do not harden your hearts.

We need to repent. We need to tear down those walls of the crazy world we build to hide ourselves from God. We need to turn to Him and confess our transgressions. He will remove the iniquity our sin. He forgives our sins because He can. We believe He can because He tells the us that, “before Abraham was, I AM.

Those are the Words that will send our Savior to the cross. As He speaks, we hear that the crowd picks up stones to stone Him. But, Christ’s time had not yet come. The time is coming when they will come after Jesus as a criminal. They will trump up charges of blasphemy: He said He was the King of the Jews. They will sentence Him to death. They will put the blame on themselves, though unknowingly, when they cry out to Pontius Pilate, “His blood be on us and on our children.

Those are the Words that bring us comfort in Christ’s sorrow. Before Abraham was, Jesus is. He was there when the world was created. He was there when His Father promised to Adam and Eve that the serpent’s head would be crushed by the seed of the woman. He was there when His Father made that same promise to Abraham. Abraham believed God. God accounted Abraham’s faith in that promise as righteousness. Abraham sees the day of the Lord and is glad. Sadly, Abraham’s children by blood refuse to see that day for what it is.

But, the day when Jesus was sentenced to die, He brings us again to Paradise. The author of the Epistle to the Hebrews says this is most certainly true, “Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation…. He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.”

Hear Christ’s voice that gives you life. But first know the Word kills you, as it breaks down the walls around your soul. The Word first proclaims you dead in order to bring you back to life. The Word transforms you through preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ who won for you eternal life. The Word washes you clean in baptismal waters. The Word declares your sins forgiven. The Word goes in your mouth under bread and wine. The Word delivers, seals, and guarantees the forgiveness of sins, for you, grants eternal life, for you, and grants to you the salvation for your soul.

Today, our readings show the time when a crowd dug in their heels to reflect a crazy world that has no room for God’s Son taking on flesh, dying, and rising from the dead. But greater still, than anything any crazy world could muster, the Lord Jesus Christ dug your heels out of the quicksand of hell and brought you to safety in the shadow of His cross and tomb. In His death and resurrection He has given you the promise that He will heal your minds and your bodies, in fact He will make them perfect. He will take away your tears, and give you joy beyond your imagination. For Jesus Christ’s body and blood given and shed for you, bestows upon you every good thing which will most certainly come true and give you eternal life. Amen.

The peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

+SDG+

No comments: